Thursday, November 1, 2012

Write-A-Day

Recently my good friend David issued me a challenge. It turns out November is National Novel Writing month - I had no idea! David is an avid writer, and this year he wants to join in the fun. While some authors really do try to pound out a novel in a single month, most writers opt for a large amount of content in any format. David's goal is 50,000 words, whether short stories, magazine articles, how-to documents, or blog posts.

So where do I come in? It turns out David knows himself well enough to realize that with large goals he is much more likely to succeed if he has accountability or, better yet, an accomplice. Not surprisingly, I'm very similar - if I'm going it alone, I'd make it two or three days, tops! So I'm teaming up with David and for the month of November, my goal is to write one blog post every day. 50,000 words might as well be a billion as far as I'm concerned. But 30 posts? That's stretching, but possible!

So the good news is that I'll be writing a lot. The bad news is that you won't be seeing it - yet. A good friend of mine started a blog not too long ago, and I loved his approach. He set a goal for the number of posts he wanted to write, then wrote half of them before publishing any of them! I love this idea of a backlog - that way if I miss a week of writing, I can pull from my archives until I get a chance to write again, rather than feeling like a failure and most likely giving up...

So November for me is Double Your Backlog month. And you won't have to wait too long - check back here in the next few weeks for some important updates!

Oh, and David - challenge accepted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment